M.Q.A.blog Archives

If you have reached this page in the hopes of seeing the most recent MQAblog then you will be disappointed. This is only for MQAblog archives(which will not disappoint).

For the latest issue of my website go directly to www.MQAblog.com

Monday, November 07, 2005

The NYC Marathon

Yesterday was the New York City Marathon. It is a big deal here as tens of thousands of runners line up for the 26 mile race through all 5 burroughs of New York City. While I did not intend to watch the race, as it turned out, I spent three hours caught up in the excitement of it all.

I was planning to have a lazy Sunday resting my weary legs. I love to walk and in NYC you get plenty of that. Add to it five flights of stairs with every trip outside the apartment and even this strong legged guy was sore. So the thought of watching people running, while never particularly appealing, was even less of an interest of to me today.

About 11 I decided to make a short trip from the apartment to go get something to eat. But, there is something about New York that just sucks you in. First I was just going to go around the corner to get some food, but the pleasant weather and electricity of the Sunday morning street life convinced me to walk an extra 15 blocks to get something from a really good take out place I found.

As I was strolling down the road I notice blockades everywhere. Must be for the race I thought. I had briefly looked at a map last week of the Marathons' route but it seemed like it was far away from where I live. However after walking a while I discovered it was pretty close after all, and why not go have a look. I'm glad I did.

As I walked toward the race, I discovered new neighborhoods, close to my place but hidden by the maze- like street layout. That's another thing about New York. Every street you turn down is a whole new world, full of new discoveries. I made it to the racing path just in time to see the wheel chair participants go by. It was really amazing to see these people, many with no legs hand-pedal their contraptions. I was at about mile 22 of the 26 mile path. I was really amazed at one legless participant who balanced on a regular sized skateboard and propelled himself only with his arms. I immediately dropped the self pity about my aching legs. If these folks without legs could do a marathon, I could certainly hang around a while and applaud their efforts.

I arrived at the track at 124th street in upper Manhattan and started walking north until I reached the Madison Avenue Bridge. All Along the way people lined the streets. There was music everywhere. Some people bought boom boxes, there were African singers and dancers, church choirs and street musicians. Every block had their own unique sites and sounds. When I got to the bridge (that you can take to get to Yankee stadium) there was a DJ with huge speakers and a microphone leading the crowd. "Let's hear it Harlem!" he shouted. This DJ was really good. He played an assortment of music alternately singing along and leading the crowd in call backs. There were thousands of people at the bridge, all cheering every racer and shouting encouragement to the tired marathoners. When the lead men runners went by, the top 5 who were at least 20 minute ahead of the pack, it was genuinely exciting to see. These were, in fact, elite athletes participating in a world class event. Just blocks away from my apartment!

I walked back south and found a spot to watch the rest of the race. I pretty much applauded every minute or so as groups of runners went by. Others were more enthusiastic. People running in the race must have enjoyed hearing people yell encouragement. What they may not know is that those who yelled out said the same thing to all the runners. While this is fine for the participants, it is somewhat annoying as a fellow spectator. I stood in one place for an hour and heard the same three people scream the same three things over and over and over. One guy, drunk I think, kept yelling "keep going, just five more miles!" as he sipped from his brown bag. Another guy, for whatever reason, shouted "Viva Le France"every so often, and the third and most annoying yeller, decided her encouragement would be to scream "you can DOOO it" at the top of her fingernails on the chalkboard - like voice. You know how annoying it is hearing that ever fifteen seconds for an hour!?

But it was all for the runners benefit and they seemed to take encouragement from it. It was really a great day. It was warm (for New York - mid 60's) and sunny. Everyone was in a great mood and all kinds of people stood together to cheer on those who ran in the Marathon. I was glad I decided not to rest all day although I still hear that woman's voice in my head saying "you can DOOOO it" over and over.

If running for 26 miles was enough to make it go away I would DOOO it, right away.